  From: Edward S. Marshall <emarshal@logic.net>
  To  : Ursetto, James F. <ursetto@uiuc.edu>
  Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 22:02:53 -0500 (CDT)

Re: kgicon

On Fri, 14 Aug 1998, Ursetto, James F. wrote:
> Note that the configuration you're using is straight VGA, not S3
> 964.  Although turning on 8bpp packed-pixel support will probably
> let you insert the driver, it'll crash because VGA won't let you run
> 640x400 in 8bpp mode, which is the default.

Yeppers, locks up solid with vertical white lines at the top of the
screen.

> You'll probably have to run
> in 1bpp mode for now; there's a command-line option you can pass to insmod
> (probably bpp=1) that was just added and explained a few days ago on this
> list.

The option, after looking through fbcon-kgi.c, is "kgicon_initial_bpp".
Setting it to 1 doesn't crash, but the display goes into cardiac arrest.
:-) Keyboard is still fine, so you can hunt-n-peck your way through a
reboot to repair the console, or to run SVGATextMode to (hopefully)
restore sanity.

I'm open to -any- ideas to get this working; again, S3 964, which
apparently isn't supported (according to the code). I presumed that stock
VGA would work though...?

--
Edward S. Marshall  `-----------------------'   http://www.logic.net/~emarshal/

   Linux labyrinth 2.1.115 #4 SMP Fri Aug 14 00:58:56 CDT 1998 i586 unknown