  From: Andrew Apted <ajapted@netspace.net.au>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 12:51:32 +1000

Re: Fwd: Re: kgicon, etc.

James writes:

>  I wrote:
>  >  I'm waiting until vgafb supports resizable consoles and font changes (will
>  >  it ever?)
>
>  Andrew wrote:
>  > Nope, vgafb is going away -- but vgacon *and* framebuffer support can
>  > coexist.

>  Now that I've downloaded the latest CVS and tried out the cool new
>  multi-resolution support, I'd like to know how vgacon and framebuffer
>  support coexist.  I have vgacon as boot driver, then insert the KGI driver
>  (which becomes fb0).

Sh**, your right, I guess I wasn't thinking straight.

>  All is well, but the kgicon driver can't be removed
>  because you can't unmap the consoles from it.  Does some other magic need
>  to be done to get this to work?

There is some code in the kernel to take over a console
(take_over_console() or something like it), all we need is to know how &
where to invoke it -- hopefully that is possible from a module.

>  The oopsing under kgicon in certain programs happens over here whenever I
>  try to page up under lynx, vile, mutt, etc.  Holding down pageup
>  invariably causes the oops.

Seems to be a csr "set scroll region" problem, possibly with the fbcon
code and not ours (maybe only when ypan is active, come to think of it).

Cheers,
                                               \  /
  Andrew Apted   <andrew@ggi-project.org>       \/