  From: Matthew Wilkins <wilco@wilco.dyn.ml.org>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 02:10:20 -0400

Re: kgicon

Quoth Edward S. Marshall (emarshal@logic.net):
> Hello,
>
> Trying to get kgicon up and running over here, and failing miserably.
> Kernel is 2.1.115, using vgafb exclusively (no vgacon or vesafb compiled
> in). Video card is a Diamond Stealth 64 DRAM (S3 Vision 964).  My kgicon
> configuration, as generated by "detectcard", is:
>
> When insmod'ing the generated kgicon.o, I get:
>
> IBM VGA chipset driver rev $Revision: 1.1 $
> Detected 256KBytes of Video RAM
> Timing list monitor driver rev $Revision: 1.1 $ for Timing list VGA
> VGA DAC driver rev. $Revision: 1.1 $
> VGA clock driver rev $Revision: 1.1 $,  common code:$Revision: 1.1 $
> IBM VGA driver loaded.
> error: kgifb_set_var: Unsupported bpp '8'.
> error: Initial kgifb_set_var() failed.
> VGA clock driver unloaded
> VGA DAC driver removed.
> exit_kgi: Finished.

I had the same problem earlier today :)   In the kernel config, go to
'Console Drivers', and select 'Advanced low-level driver options'.
Then turn on 8bpp packed pixels support.  You probably want the other ones
too -- monochrome thru 32bpp. recompile etc.    this should help.

And if you're like me, after that kgicon.o will insert and then promptly
crash  :)

good luck,
MW

--