  From: Andrew Apted <ajapted@netspace.net.au>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 12:52:33 +1000

Re: ggi_key_event confusion

Marcus writes:

>  > >  What we need is one entry describing what physical key was pressed
>  >
>  > That is "label".
>  >
>  > >  and one entry describing the meaning of that key, with regard taken
>  > >  to modifiers and such.
>  >
>  > That is "sym".
>
>  Ok, then we have cleared out that.
>  Now all we have to do is make sure the targets conform to this,
>  and document it.

Yeah (on my todo list, just low priority right now :).

>  > The GGI_KEY_* handle both labels and syms.  For example, pressing ALT+F1
>  > gives a label of GGI_KEY_F1, and a sym of GGI_KEY(KT_CONS, 0).
>
>  Excuse me??? I thought we agreed to delinuxify libggi a long time
>  ago. If GGI_KT_CONS refers to console-switching it should be
>  removed right away. Telling a win32 application to switch virtual
>  console would be kind of bizzare...

It's just one of those things we inherited from the Linux keysyms.
Other systems will just map those keys to something else, or maybe
even interpret it differently (switch windows ?).

>  > I noticed you added a set of keys for latin1 chars (GGI_KV_*), but IMHO
>  > this is rather silly, since the values are defined by the Unicode /
>  > ISO-8859-1 standards and will never change.  Should we add the other
>  > 30000 unicode values too ? *hehehe*
>
>  It's very convenient for people writing targets, wrappers and emulators,
>  to name a few uses. I assume that I'm not the only one who doesn't know
>  either the ascii-code for an "ucircumflex" or how to type it on the
>  keyboard...

That's fine with me (I wasn't suggesting to remove them).

Cheers,
                                               \  /
  Andrew Apted   <andrew@ggi-project.org>       \/