  From: Sengan Baring-Gould <sengan@seqnet.net>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 18:53:59 -0600

Re: kgicon FAQ

Jon M. Taylor wrote:

>         If you keep your drivers monolithic, they will degenerate over
> time into an unreadable mess of #if blocks and special cases.

I'd agree with this comment -- I have spent a lot of the last year at
work abstracting things back out. #if blocks, multiple files with 80%
the same code, incomprehensible tangles all result from monolithic
whatevers. And it's not even like there's an efficiency penalty --
you can inline the relevant hardware calls, and you often find things
done in a brain-dead way you can improve by caching/etc.

Sengan