  From: Johan Karlberg <wlfshmn@failure.ml.org>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 00:15:09 +0200 (CEST)

Re: Matrox BIOS upgrades (fwd)

On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, Marcus Sundberg wrote:

> > > Good point. As kgicon only runs on 2.1.107+ anyway we should switch to use
> > > /proc/bus/pci/devices instead of /proc/pci.
> > >
> > for my own config, i just replaced the cat /proc/pci with lspci, this
> > solves the problem if you only have ONE PCI card, if you have more, it
> > will detect the first grep that matches in the pci/main script.. but on
> > the other hand, the old one did this too... well, anyway, this requires
> > pcitools, which isn't in the standard set of tools people keep (unless
> > they work alot with pci, as some of us) and we can't really realy on them
> > having it since it's quite Linux specific, (ie. only works on Linux 2.1.84
> > or higher I think... or whenever /proc/pci was changed
>
> Unless the format of /proc/bus/pci/devices changes we don't need any
> special tools:
>
> VENDOR=`echo $DEVICELINE | cut -d'	' -f2 | cut -c1-4`
> DEVICE_ID=`echo $DEVICELINE | cut -d'	 ' -f2 | cut -c5-8`
>
> works fine.

/proc/bus/pci/devices contains binary data though, we can cut the
PCI_VENDOR_ID and the PCI_CARD_ID out of it, but on second though, PCI
probing in general only lets us determine chipset, there isn't anyway to
detect a ramdac without initializing the chipset, and reading through it
is there? For a few cards, New MAtroxes for example, you know what ramdac
is on the card, but card like the older Matroxes, (the MGA cores were
licensed to a few other companies) the ramdacs can vary, also I have two
et4000/w32p rev C cards, with two diffrent ramdacs on them...

Though, as somebody said, newer cards like to integrate... (*me thinking
of the rumors about new gfx-core-integrated intel chipsets and cytix cpu's
*)

is there a way to probe for ramdacs or clocks without initializing the
chipset and ask it?

Johan (rambeling about, and should get some sleep but refuses due to
internal conflict, my two braincells can't make up their mind.)