  From: Ursetto, James F. <ursetto@uiuc.edu>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 19:35:25 -0500 (CDT)

Re: kgicon FAQ

At 01:15 PM on 1998 August 09, Andrew Apted did write:

> People need to use _vgafb_ instead of vgacon, since there is no way to
> remap consoles between vgacon and framebuffer devices at the moment
> (and FBIOPUT_CON2FBMAP only works for framebuffer consoles).  An extra
> paragraph about reconfiguring the kernel to use vgafb would be great.

I don't get it--I'm using vgacon, and kgicon works fine.  Upon insertion,
fbcon takes over the console and the kgi driver becomes fb0.  The only
thing I can't do is remove the module... the consoles can't be demapped
from the kgi driver since no other framebuffer device exists.  This is
with 2.1.113.  Perhaps I misunderstand?

BTW, it looks like 'make xconfig' has a bug in it, it doesn't recognize
the ARCH variable inside the fbcon configuration section, so you can't set
any fbcon options (they're grayed).  Hack the
/usr/src/linux/drivers/video/Config.in file or use menuconfig.

# Console drivers
#
CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
CONFIG_FB=y
CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
# CONFIG_FB_VGA is not set
# CONFIG_FB_VESA is not set
CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
# CONFIG_FB_MDA is not set
# CONFIG_FB_VIRTUAL is not set
CONFIG_FBCON_ADVANCED=y
# CONFIG_FBCON_MFB is not set
# CONFIG_FBCON_CFB2 is not set
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB4=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB8=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB16=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB24=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB32=y
# CONFIG_FBCON_AFB is not set
# CONFIG_FBCON_ILBM is not set
# CONFIG_FBCON_IPLAN2P2 is not set
# CONFIG_FBCON_IPLAN2P4 is not set
# CONFIG_FBCON_IPLAN2P8 is not set
# CONFIG_FBCON_MAC is not set
# CONFIG_FBCON_VGA is not set
# CONFIG_FBCON_FONTWIDTH8_ONLY is not set
CONFIG_FBCON_FONTS=y
CONFIG_FONT_8x8=y
CONFIG_FONT_8x16=y
# CONFIG_FONT_SUN8x16 is not set
# CONFIG_FONT_SUN12x22 is not set
# CONFIG_FONT_6x11 is not set
# CONFIG_FONT_PEARL_8x8 is not set
# CONFIG_FONT_ACORN_8x8 is not set

timepresentandtimepastarebothperhapspr
s       e = 3  3e = 8  c = 3e8       e  "Man with giant head
a   murasaki Dragon   -==[UDIC]==-   s    use purple-monkey
p          ursetto@uiuc.edu          e     technique."
e                akira               n         - Golden Spider
m                          -t.s. eliot
itnideniatnocerutufemitndaerutufemitni