  From: teunis <teunis@computersupportcentre.com>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 13:35:35 -0700 (MST)

Re: Porting Java AWT to GGI.

On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, Pete Zaitcev wrote:

> > > I'm sure someone thought about it, but noone has seriously tried yet
> > > AFAIK.
> >
> > I -seriously- would if I could get ahold of the API.  They don't
> > distribute it anymore afaik (or at least I haven't found the page)
> >
> > I'm coding my own Java engine because of this.... :)
>
> AFAIK AWT is dead and buried. New fashion on Sun is Swing. AWT
> mapped window system calls into underlying window system calls.
> Swing contains the window system itself and uses only basic
> drawing primitives such as filled rectangles. Swing has smaller
> total footprint if you can get rid of window system (e.g. in a
> cell phone) and it seems to me that it is better suited for
> laying on top of GGI. IMHO.

self is using java-1.2 as basis these days :)  [a lot smarter]
and yes it is a lot simpler.  if i could just get a copy of the SDK i
could port it easily - though if 1.2 gets released anytime soon i might
even be able to do it natively (not sure - the docs point to the
possibility though - plugable graphics drivers are now present)

G'day, eh? :)
	- Teunis