  From: Rodolphe Ortalo <ortalo@laas.fr>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 18:34:48 +0200

Re: kgicon problems...

>On Mon, 10 Aug 1998, Rodolphe Ortalo wrote:
>
>> Maybe it is relatively easy to fix them, provided that we really
>> know what to use ? (is it the physical, virtual adress that kgicon
>> wants ?)
>
>It's not kgicon's problem.  kgicon is merely doing what any program
>should do when faced with a structure member with type mem_vaddr,
>(mode.fb), Unfortunately you'll notice that most of the drivers
>stuff a physical address in there and don't do a bus_to_virt,
>and then they go and proceed to use mode.fb (knowing it's
>a physical address) elsewhere.  The Degas drivers fix this,
>but use a totally different structure.

In my case, mode->fb is filled with the "baseptr" field of the
memory region containing the framebuffer. (I think it's a virtual
address ?)
baseptr is initialized by mem_claim_region (kgicon/include/system.h)
as ioremap(region->base, r->size).

So, why do a bus_to_virt ?

My guess: because ioremap returns a bus adress...

Am I right ? (Sorry for bothering you, but I always wondered what
I should put there, or what I was putting there... ;-)

Rodolphe