  From: Brian Julin <bri@forcade.calyx.net>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Sun, 9 Aug 1998 02:35:42 -0400 (EDT)

Re: silly questions, probably atleast.

On Sun, 9 Aug 1998, Johan Karlberg wrote:

> So there is no reason to implement this feature in a ramdac driver?
> correct?

Don't prioritize it.  The API is not yet ready for strange sprite
features.  We really do not have sprite support yet.

> > > 2. the ramdac can overlay pseudo-color regions on a direct-color region
> > > (or so it semms to me), is this supported in anyway in kgi?
> >
> > Not yet, unless you count display-sub which could be hacked to
> > do that.
>
> Nor this then I suppose, since hacks aren't really what we are supposed to
> be doing... or we could stay with the drivers in the X-server...

I actually have been known to argue that features like this, feature
connector "blue-screening" and even BLT logical raster-ops should
be sub-classes (if you'll allow the OO metaphor) of the same API
construct.  I would say hold off on these except when they might
come in useful in a GGI-console scroller/terminal emulator, until
an API evolves.

Using display-sub as a way to test the hardware driver would
not be wasted effort, but there are more important tasks at hand,
like getting kgicon and libggi to production quality before
linux 2.2 (3.0??)

--
Brian S. Julin