  From: Marcus Sundberg <e94_msu@elixir.e.kth.se>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Sat, 08 Aug 1998 18:46:21 +0200

Re: KGI? agh...

> Sorry for being such a pain (??) but...
> I've decided to go for it, and install KGI (is that it? or is it GGIcon?) on
> the current 2.1.115 devel kernel (well 2.1.115ac1), just wanna know _how_???
>
> i have the current Stable CVS version of GGI, the configure script won't let
> me patch the kernel or do anything to the kernel... how exactly to i get KGI,
> etc into the kernel...

This really need to go in a prominent place on our main webpage:

Current status of GGI and the kernel:
* You need a recent development kernel (2.1.114 workes fine for me)
* You do NOT need to patch the kernel, kgicon works only as a module.
* If you want to run KGI you need to get the devel version of GGI.
* Make a symlink /usr/src/linux/include/kgi pointing to degas/kgicon/include
  (anything in kgicon trying to include a ggi/*.h file is broken and
   should be fixed right away!)
* cd into degas/kgicon/kgi and type 'make'
* After proper configuration it should produce a kgicon.o module
  that may be inserted into the kernel.
* After insertion the KGI driver works just as any fbcon device.
* If you have loaded the fbcon VGA driver module (or compiled it
  into the kernel) the screen will go all black when you insert
  kgicon.o. You'll have to map the consoles to the new kgicon
  driver by blindly typing "con2fbmap <consnum> 1" for each of
  your consoles (starting with <consnum> = 1)

> Also, (i'm not sure if this is just me but..) the 'Console Drivers' section of
> the 2.1.115 config will only let me select 'VGA text console', all the other
> options are greyed out (using xconfig) (menuconfig only has 'VGA text
> console')!! I guess this is just me (i had the same probs with 2.1.114), has
> anyone else had this problem? how do i fix it?!

Using 'make config' will show you all options. Dunno why the others don't
work.

        Marcus Sundberg        | http://www.stacken.kth.se/~mackan
       Stockholm, Sweden       |      E-Mail: e94_msu@e.kth.se