  From: Alex Roberts <bse@dial.pipex.com>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Sat, 8 Aug 1998 15:14:39 +0000

Re: palettes, etc

Quoting Marcus Sundberg (e94_msu@elixir.e.kth.se):
> > i'm a bit confused with the palette system... if i'm using a 16bit resolution
> > (say 640x480x16bpp), do i HAVE to build a palette?
> > i've developed with Allegro (a DOS/DJGPP graphics/games lib, really cool), and
> > you only need to work with palettes when using a 8bpp res, not in 16bpp+... is
> > this the case with libGGI?
>
> No, it's not even possible to set/build a palette on a 16-bit mode.
> What are you trying to do that makes you think you have to set
> a palette?
Well, looking though all the demos they all had a palette definition, etc..
so, i guess these definitions are only for 8bpp resoloutions? hmm.. well, if i
_do_ actually get around to start on developing annything in/for GGI is it ok
to force people to use 16+bpp?

urgh, i'm really confused now...

all i want to know is: do i have to define a palette, even though i'm aiming
for development with 16+bit graphics? and if i do that, will it be ok for
people using KGI as well as libGGI/X11?

Thankyou
| Alex Roberts      |  |__][__ |___    \ |
| bse@dial.pipex.com|  |__]___]|___    /\|
| I live in England, and I'm proud of it |
 ---\--> http://nuklear.home.ml.org <-/--
     \-> http://gedit.pn.org <-------/