  From: Jason McMullan <jmcc@ontv.com>
  To  : Jon M. Taylor <taylorj@ecs.csus.edu>
  Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 15:57:57 -0400 (EDT)

Re: vga kgicon problem summary

'Jon M. Taylor wrote with particular insight...'
> 	KGI should provide the best video card drivers it can, nothing
> more.  It should not make assumptions about how those drivers are to be
> used, by the console or anything else.  Hardware device drivers are there
> to allow access to the raw hardware functionality.  If we embed
> console-related abstractions like a scroller into KGI, what happens when
> someone wants to use KGI in an OS which doesn't use consoles or anything
> similar to consoles?  They would probably have to do something like
> kgicon - pull the drivers away from the driver API (KGI), write another
> less restrictive API and plug them into that.

   Good points. Suggestion retracted.

--
Jason McMullan - Linux - GGI - http://pepsi.visus.com/~jmcc

On the wonderful world of Microsoft Products:

  Why put fault tolerance in the OS, when it's
  already built into the User?
	-- Steve Shaw <nospamola_sbshaws@kc-primary.net>
	   comp.os.linux.advocacy