  From: Jon M. Taylor <taylorj@ecs.csus.edu>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 12:04:49 -0700 (PDT)

Re: Mach64 support? and some questions

On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, Peter Hawkins wrote:

> Hi there...
> Is anything happening on the area of ATI Mach64 support? Is any progress
> being made on this front? (is there still anyone developing the driver?)

	Not for a while now.  There is a fbcon Mach64 driver in the
kernel right now, maybe it has some leechable code.

> Now some more questions:
> 1) Why do kgi (the original) and kgicon have seperate driver
> directories? Surely if the drivers are the same between the two, there
> should be no need for two different sets of drivers? (kgi/...
> kgicon/kgi/...)

	They are not the same.  the kgi/ directory contains a now-defunct
newer version of KGI for Degas.  Only the VGA and S3 Trio64V+ drivers were
ever ported to it.  The kgicon drivers are slightly modified versions of
the older 0.0.9 Dali drivers.  Steffen Seeger is working on a new version
of KGI for degas, and when that is working it will be merged with kgicon
and all the drivers will be ported to it and everything will be unified
again.

> 2) Is kgi still being developed? Or have people dumped it in favour of
> kgicon / fbcon?

	See above.

> 3) Why doesn't the kgicon IBM vga driver compile? I go to the directory
> kgicon/kgi, do a ./configure, select all the IBM vga options, and then
> do a 'make'. It bombs on the first file complaining about missing header
> files.

	You have to create a symlink.  cd to degas/kgicon and do 'su -c
"make install"' to make the symlink.

> 4) How about some kgicon docs? There are none right now.

	Yeah, this is needed.  Everything has been in flux so much lately
that documentation updates have kinda fallen by the wayside, but there
have been a lot of people getting confused lately because of it so it
needs to get fixed.  A smallish README.INSTALL should do.

Jon

---
becoming one with God.'
	- Scientist G. Richard Seed