  From: Jason McMullan <jmcc@ontv.com>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: 7 Aug 1998 13:57:25 GMT

Re: vga kgicon problem summary

Brian Julin <bri@forcade.calyx.net> wrote with confidence:

> 2) The real fix is to allow the kgi driver to offer a scroller via
> kgi_text_operations and write a framebuffer driver that uses the kgi
> scroller's framebuffer operations.  What I'm suggesting is a move to
> the Degas drivers, as this also I believe will make the mode.fb trouble
> go away; they use virtual addresses in the extended mode.fb.* struct.  The
> only problem here is a few of them don't have complete text-->dpp/bpp
> fixes, but a few of us had that fixed in our own private
> sources already.

   Please note that that scroller subsystem is a big part of GGI
Console. We need to chat with Steffen (#kgi channel on irc.ggi-project.org?)
about where is code is and how to integrate the scroller work
without having to drag in all of GGI Console.

   BTW: I think the GGI Console scroller is the most mature part of
GGI Console. It would definately be worth it to pull into kgicon.

--
Jason McMullan - Linux - GGI - http://pepsi.visus.com/~jmcc

On the wonderful world of Microsoft Products:

  Why put fault tolerance in the OS, when it's
  already built into the User?
	-- Steve Shaw <nospamola_sbshaws@kc-primary.net>
	   comp.os.linux.advocacy