  From: Jason McMullan <jmcc@ontv.com>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: 7 Aug 1998 13:45:25 GMT

Re: ggiGetPixelFormat and proposed new DirectBuffer scheme

Emmanuel Marty <core@suntech.fr> wrote with confidence:
> On 68K you can do :
>
> ror.w #8,d0        ; Exchange bits 0-7 & 8-15
> swap d0            ; Exchange hi and low 16 bits
> ror.w #8,d0        ; Exchange bits 0-7 & 8-15 again
>
> Which is pretty much identical to i486 code with bswap.
>
> On 68020 and up, the hardware barrel-shifter (like i386 and up) will make
> it so that the ror executes in one cycle or so. I can do the assembler
> optimizations
> on i386 and m68K, that's not a problem - and Jason can do PPC ones now I s'pose

   Hey now - my PPC assembly book is still on back order! All I
know is EIEIO! (and that's from Linus' Linux Expo talk!)

--
Jason McMullan - Linux - GGI - http://pepsi.visus.com/~jmcc

On the wonderful world of Microsoft Products:

  Why put fault tolerance in the OS, when it's
  already built into the User?
	-- Steve Shaw <nospamola_sbshaws@kc-primary.net>
	   comp.os.linux.advocacy