  From: Pete Zaitcev <zaitcev@metabyte.com>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 21:09:32 -0700 (PDT)

Re: Porting Java AWT to GGI.

> On Mon, 3 Aug 1998 becka@rz.uni-duesseldorf.de wrote:
> > > From xengren@yahoo.com Mon Aug  3 11:30:19 1998
> > > Hmmm. Has anyone thought of porting the Java AWT API to GGI?
> >
> > I'm sure someone thought about it, but noone has seriously tried yet
> > AFAIK.
>
> I -seriously- would if I could get ahold of the API.  They don't
> distribute it anymore afaik (or at least I haven't found the page)
>
> I'm coding my own Java engine because of this.... :)

AFAIK AWT is dead and buried. New fashion on Sun is Swing. AWT
mapped window system calls into underlying window system calls.
Swing contains the window system itself and uses only basic
drawing primitives such as filled rectangles. Swing has smaller
total footprint if you can get rid of window system (e.g. in a
cell phone) and it seems to me that it is better suited for
laying on top of GGI. IMHO.

--Pete