  From: Jon M. Taylor <taylorj@ecs.csus.edu>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 23:18:16 -0700 (PDT)

Re: What kernel to use?

On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, David Fries wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 03, 1998 at 04:05:22PM -0700, Jon M. Taylor wrote:
> ----clip--------
> > 	Yes.  The kgicon directory contains a bridge that will allow you
> > to use KGI video drivers on a stock linux kernel (you need 2.1.107 or
> > later, and you should try to use the newest one).  Do 'su -c "make
> > install"' in the kgicon directory to make a required symlink, and then do
> > a make in the kgi directory under that to configure and build a driver.
> > After that is done, run the "insert" script in the kgi directory and you
> > should be up and running.
> >
> > 	We need to modify the makefile system after Jason does his thing
> > to automate all of this.  I'll give it a try tonight.
>
> I'm trying to migrate to the degas ggi and I'm having problems building a
> kernel to run with it.  Would you tell me what kernel version should work

	Get the newest one you can.  Lots of fbcon fixes have gone in
with each release since fbcon was introduced in 2.1.107.

> and what options I need compiled in and what needs to be compiled out to
> work?

	Don't use vesafb.  Everything else should be needed or will be
unused.  There are a lot more options in the newer kernels.

> I was trying to compile 2.1.108 with CONFIG_FB_VGA=y CONFIG_FB_VESA=y and
> other options that make sense.  After the kernel loaded and was
> decompressed the screen was displaying black on black text and rebooted.

	2.1.108 didn't work - it always did this black-on-black thing
without a patch.

> had similar problems with other kernels I compiled and 2.1.110 had scsi
> problems so it couldn't mount the file system.

	In think 2.1.115 just came out, so maybe somewhere in there your
problem got fixed.

> For cvs I was using :pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.us.ggi-project.org:/cvsdevel
> and had updated the tree this afternoon.  But, until I get a kernel to boot
> with FBCON support it isn't going to matter what ggi tree I have sitting on
> my disk, (I'm assuming I need FBCON in the kernel for kgicon).

	Yes, you do.

> If I could patch the kernel like I used to with ggi using the newer degas
> I'll go for that if you tell me how.

	Patching is no longer necessary.  You need to get a stock kernel
to work.

Jon

---
becoming one with God.'