  From: Ray Glendenning <ray@hackery.demon.co.uk>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 23:39:53 +0100 (BST)

Re: Virge lock ups

Hi

After a little bit of investigation I think I may have found the problem
(will test later and tell you all how it goes).  So here is my theory:

accel.h defines :

ECR_SUBSYS_STAT as 0x42E8
ECR_SUBSYS_CTRL as 0x42E8

but from the virge manual (Misc registers, Section 22):

Subsystem Status Register offset 0x8504
Subsystem Control Register offset 0x8504

These defines are used by s3_mmio.inc which is used by the trio and virge
drivers.  So I think the lock ups are caused by using incorrect registers
for the above (and possibly a lot of other things as s3_mmio.inc and
accel.h were intended for the 86c928 I think). If noone has any
objections, I will go through the drivers and sort out this mess.

Sorry for not trying this out before posting, but I need some sleep soon,
but I will sort this out tommorrow *8-)