  From: Andrew Apted <ajapted@netspace.net.au>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 19:43:03 +1000

Re: I have seen the.. boot logo!

Marc Hudson writes:

>  Andrew Apted wrote:
>  >
>  > I compiled the kgicon driver into the kernel and booted.  The penguin
>  > logo looks good (it no longer scrolls off the screen in a eye-blink
>  > like the last time I saw it with vesafb).
>
>  I too got this working, but for some strange reason, I have 2 logos
>  side-by-side, is this normal? (I never got to see it with vesafb)

Apparently there is one logo for each processor, so SMP with two CPUs
gives two logos.

>  >    -  edit kgicon/kgi/fbcon-kgi.c, look for "initial geometry" and
>  >       change the kgicon_* initializers to something that definitely
>  >       works (e.g.  width=320, height=200, bpp=8 with the VGA driver).
>
>  Would it be that hard to add options to kgifb_setup() for setting width,
>  height, bpp, etc..?

Would be easy to have something like "kgicon=320,200,8" on the kernel
command line, just a SMOP.

>  >    -  reconfigure the kernel, and turn off CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE and
>  >       CONFIG_FB_VGA.  Because the driver is quite big (55K here), I had
>  >       to disable sound support as well (so the kernel still fitted into
>  >       zImage).
>
>  GRUB 0.5 is out now and supports bzImage.

Yeah, just been too busy (or lazy :) to much around with it.

Cheers,
                                               \  /
  Andrew Apted   <andrew@ggi-project.org>       \/