  From: Marc Hudson <marxom@ados.com>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 02:10:05 -0700

Re: I have seen the.. boot logo!

Andrew Apted wrote:

> I compiled the kgicon driver into the kernel and booted.  The penguin
> logo looks good (it no longer scrolls off the screen in a eye-blink
> like the last time I saw it with vesafb).

I too got this working, but for some strange reason, I have 2 logos
side-by-side, is this normal? (I never got to see it with vesafb)

> This is what I did, (hopefully I don't forget something important) :
>
>    -  edit kgicon/kgi/.make_rules, and comment out the -DMODULE from the
>       MODFLAGS variable.

You also need to comment out -DMODVERSIONS.

>    -  edit kgicon/kgi/fbcon-kgi.c, look for "initial geometry" and
>       change the kgicon_* initializers to something that definitely
>       works (e.g.  width=320, height=200, bpp=8 with the VGA driver).

Would it be that hard to add options to kgifb_setup() for setting width,
height, bpp, etc..?

>    -  reconfigure the kernel, and turn off CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE and
>       CONFIG_FB_VGA.  Because the driver is quite big (55K here), I had
>       to disable sound support as well (so the kernel still fitted into
>       zImage).

GRUB 0.5 is out now and supports bzImage.

> Cheers,
>                                                \  /
>   Andrew Apted   <andrew@ggi-project.org>       \/

Marc Hudson