  From: Sengan Baring-Gould <sengan@seqnet.net>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 19:41:15 -0600

Re: MediaGX driver help needed

Emmanuel Marty wrote:

> > Nikita Proskourine wrote:
> >
> > > I am having this problem with a 980824 snapshot:
> > >
> > > I went through the scripts and chmod'ed them as necessary and fixed the
> > > accel scripts so they can work from the menu and finally got kgicon.o to
> > > compile. But when I try to do "insmod kgicon.o ; con2fbmap 0 1" I get a
> > > blinking starfield that I remember someone mentioned on this list some time
> > > ago.
> > >
> > > I have a Compaq Presario 2200 with a MediaGX board and that came with
> > > practically no technical documentation, so I am not sure what graphics
> > > chipset and so forth, but I've tried several settings:
> > >
> > > monitor: monosync svga
> > > chipset: CyrixGX
> > > accel: gx
> > > ramdac: tried Cyrix cx5220, gendac, fixed vga
>
> Uh, I wonder why I bothered to write a README.gx ?

Ok. Tried kgicon today at work. It only worked in 640x400x8 with SVGA monitor
setup. I think the driver is not getting the right clocks. (This is on a Viewsonic
17GS
which is pretty versatile). But at least it's working sort of. Unfortunately I do
seem
to be getting Slow clocks (that's when the PCI bus/the CPU locks up because you've

either talked to some address which gets decoded but never responded to, or
because
VSA got in the way, or because the system wide clock generator frigged out).
I have a similar problem (no slow clock though) on a 5510 board in 800x600/800x768

but not 800x480. Want to figure that out first. (For the 800x768 the values are
way off
scale like total scan line size = 800 dotclocks, active dotclocks at 600 odd...
bad!)

Anyway,  I'll look at it again. Guiney Pigs are welcome to try the following
configuration
and report back on 5520:

5520 programmable clock
cyrix ramdac