  From: Neal Tucker <ntucker@vax.area.com>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 18:36:54 -0700

Re: kgicon on PPC (yes, I finally tried)

> On Thu, 27 Aug 1998, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
>
> > | S3 86c964/86c968 chipset driver rev $Revision: 1.3 $
> > | error: failed to detect Vision964 or Vision968.
> > | error: kgim_chipset_init failed
> > | error: init_kgi() failed, bailing out....
> >
> > May be normal, Open Firmware doesn't allocate PCI space for the driver. So I
> > ran my good old `s3' utility[*] which does enable PCI memory responses for the
> > Vision968, and retried. Same result.
> >
> > Then I ran `em86', an ix86 BIOS emulator by Gabriel Paubert, which initializes
> > my board to VGA text mode and displays the Diamond Stealth banner, and retried.
> > Same result.
> >
> > Any clues?

Until Jan does the work he mentioned, I have a quick fix for the
failed detection:

chipset/S3/86c96x.c has a line in s3_verify_86c968() that looks like:

        pci->dev = PCICFG_VADDR(0, 10, 0);

I don't know how this is supposed to ideally work, but this ain't
it.  My 968 card was device 8, so I changed this to:

        pci->dev = PCICFG_VADDR(0, 8, 0);

You can get the three parameters for this (bus, device, function)
by doing a `cat /proc/pci` and looking for your card in the output.

After doing that, my 968 was detected, and I could actually insert
the module and do the con2fbmap.

I get a funky text mode where the first column is missing, and the
other columns are spaced too wide (i.e. there is a blank column
between every other text column.), and I think every other row is
skipped too, but I can't remember for sure.  The effect is that
a screen that should look like:

This is the first line
This is the second line
This is the third line

Looks like:

h i s   i s   t h e   f i r s t   l i n e

h i s   i s   t h e   s e c o n d   l i n e

h i s   i s   t h e   t h i r d   l i n e

I am able to increase the resolution to 1024x768 with fbset so I can
see most of what I'm supposed to be able to see, but I still get the
every-other-column thing happening.

Does this ring any bells with anyone?

-Neal Tucker

PS.  I'm going to Germany tomorrow.  What's there to see in Weisbaden?