  From: Ursetto, James F. <ursetto@uiuc.edu>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Sat, 1 Aug 1998 21:48:37 -0500 (CDT)

Re: kgicon, etc [I don't have any scsi device!]

At 01:42 PM on 1998 July 29, Andrew Apted did write:

> >  Finally, I'm happy. I got something on the screen out of my 546x
driver!!
> >  :-)))
> >  It was even readable. But, well, not easily. I got a graphical
console
> >  I think (it seems a little different from the usual one, and very
slow).
> >  But the start of each scanline was nearly in the middle of the
screen.
> >                                         Therefore I had something like
> >  that on the screen...
>
> I've had that happen inserting my ET6000 driver, and my feeling is that
> the memory/stack trashing that causes lynx to Oops is also causing this.
> It may even be a "thing not initialized properly" problem, I don't know.

Try mapping the consoles back to the vgafb driver without removing the
ET6000 driver, then hit enter a few times.  Notice how the scanline-start
moves every time?  Looks like the vgafb console scrolling causes the
problem.  If you do "insmod kgicon; con2fbmap 0 1" on the same line, you
won't get the wrap.  If you type them with an enter in between, it will
wrap.  This register may be set _after_ the driver initializes, in which
case it's not easy to fix, but I haven't looked into it yet.

timepresentandtimepastarebothperhapspr
s       e = 3  3e = 8  c = 3e8       e  "Man with giant head
a   murasaki Dragon   -==[UDIC]==-   s    use purple-monkey
p          ursetto@uiuc.edu          e     technique."
e                akira               n         - Golden Spider
m                          -t.s. eliot
itnideniatnocerutufemitndaerutufemitni