  From: Peter Hawkins <dph-man@iname.com>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 23:56:49 +1000

Re: Problems with ATI Mach64 Driver...

Hi there...
Andrew Apted wrote:

> Peter Hawkins writes:
>
> >  Hi there...
> >  Andrew Apted wrote:
> >
> >  > insmod fbcon-cfb8 ?
> >
> >  Same error. I hadn't inserted it or compiled it before. Tried compiling
> >  cfb[2-8] and mfb into kernel. Same error. Tried compiling them all as
> >  modules and inserting them all. Same error. Any ideas?
>
> OK I just realized the problem.  First you have to enable support in the
> kernel for the cfb* (etc) and probably have them compiled into the
> kernel (I hadn't tried them as modules myself).  Second, remake the
> kgicon.o module (`make clean ; make') which will add the necessary code.
>
> This happens because we do "#ifdef FBCON_HAS_CFB8" in fbcon-kgi.c, which
> makes it _compile time_ dependent on those options being enabled.
> Whether this should be changed, I'm not sure yet (other fbcon low-level
> drivers do it this way too).

Ok, yep, cool that worked. Could someone stick this in the docs? Thanks.

Now for the next problem. The modules all insert fine. I insert all the
fbcon-cfb*.o, fbcon-vga, and fbcon-mfb modules, then kgicon.o. No errors this
time.
The display changes modes to what looks like 640x480 from what I can see of
it. The problem is that on each line only the characters after about column
10 display. I think (from the few lines I could see anything of), that after
another 10 columns or so, the pattern repeated itself (ie. 10 blank columns,
and the second 10 columns again).

Any ideas **now**? :-)
Specs are again:
ATI Xpert@Work 4mb AGP (ATI Rage 3d pro, rev 92)