  From: Junichi Saito <j.saito@wanadoo.fr>
  Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 00:21:47 +0200 (CEST)

questions about kgicon and libggi

In README.install of kgicon, there is a line saying :

   "make sure to enable all the fbcon stuff"

Not knowing enough what to do precisely, I tried compiling the kernel
(2.1.118) with the following configuration:

CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
CONFIG_FB=y
CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_FB_VGA=m
CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
CONFIG_FBCON_ADVANCED=y
CONFIG_FBCON_MFB=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB2=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB4=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB8=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB16=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB24=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB32=y
CONFIG_FBCON_VGA=m

After compiling kgicon:

MON_CLASS=monosync
MON_TYPE=SVGA
CHIP_CLASS=S3
CHIP_TYPE=virge
ACCEL_CLASS=S3
ACCEL_TYPE=generic
CLK_CLASS=prog
CLK_TYPE=s3idac
DAC_CLASS=S3
DAC_TYPE=trio64

all I got is

S3 ViRGE family chipset driver rev $Revision: 1.2 $
error: Chipset: io_vga or io_accel region busy.
error: failed to detect ViRGE!
error: kgim_chipset_init failed
error: init_kgi() failed, bailing out....
kgicon.o: init_module: Device or resource busy

with this variation whether vgafb is loaded or not :
ioctl FBIOPUT_CON2FBMAP: Invalid argument

In syslog, there is also the line below:
Aug 27 22:18:24 saito modprobe: can't locate module fb[0,1]

bash-2.02# cat /proc/ioports
0000-001f : dma1
0020-003f : pic1
0040-005f : timer
0060-006f : keyboard
0080-008f : dma page reg
00a0-00bf : pic2
00c0-00df : dma2
00f0-00ff : fpu
0170-0177 : ide1
01f0-01f7 : ide0
02f8-02ff : serial(set)
0376-0376 : ide1
03c0-03df : vga+    <-- indeed, it's busy, but how can I boot without it?
03f6-03f6 : ide0
03f8-03ff : serial(set)
e000-e007 : ide0
e008-e00f : ide1

As to libggi, 'make xxx' dosen't even work, giving invariably

warning: `-' deprecated; use `ps lww', not `ps -lww'
/usr/bin/make: invalid option -- c

I must be doing certainly something stupide, but what can be that ?

The gfx card is a Flag Point's Shocker DX S3 Virge DX.
The source is from CVS devel.

BTW, why the scripts aren't given an exec permission ? I had to set it by
hand one by one.

junichi