  From: Geert Uytterhoeven <Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be>
  To  : GGI Development <ggi-develop@eskimo.com>
  Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 23:32:19 +0200 (CEST)

kgicon on PPC (yes, I finally tried)

	Hi guys,

I finally tried kgicon on my CHRP box with S3 Vision968 (2 MB VRAM, IBM RGB526
RAMDAC).

Comments:

  - After checking out the files using CVS, the scripts lack the `x' flag, so
    they don't want to be executed.
  - What's the -486 option doing there? My egcs doesn't grok that :-)
  - The card autodetect script failed. /proc/pci no longer exists.
  - To compile fbcon-kgi.c, I had to
      o #define VGER_KERNEL
      o change #include <file> into #include <video/file>

That gave me a kgicon.o (yes!).

But insmod kgicon.o gave me this error:

| S3 86c964/86c968 chipset driver rev $Revision: 1.3 $
| error: failed to detect Vision964 or Vision968.
| error: kgim_chipset_init failed
| error: init_kgi() failed, bailing out....

May be normal, Open Firmware doesn't allocate PCI space for the driver. So I
ran my good old `s3' utility[*] which does enable PCI memory responses for the
Vision968, and retried. Same result.

Then I ran `em86', an ix86 BIOS emulator by Gabriel Paubert, which initializes
my board to VGA text mode and displays the Diamond Stealth banner, and retried.
Same result.

Any clues?

Greetings,

						Geert

[*] Init Vision968 to MMIO 80x25 text mode, based on very old GGI code. I never
    found out how the mapping from memory to character positions worked.
--
Geert Uytterhoeven                     Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be