  From: Steve Cheng <elmert@ipoline.com>
  Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 22:00:29 -0400 (EDT)

Re: LibGGI2D, LibGGI3D and targets

On Wed, 26 Aug 1998, Jon M. Taylor wrote:

> 	I've been looking at how to start coding some LibGGI3D display
> targets, and in the course of exploring the existing LibGGI targets I saw
> that LibGGI2D doesn't have any targets per se.  All the targets are part

>From a cursory look, LibGGI2D has implementations for linear_16, linear_8
framebuffers, and stubs using ggiPutPixel(), etc.

> of LibGGI itself.  Why is this?  IMHO, the targets, to the extent that
> they handle 2D framebuffer rendering, should be part of LibGGI2D.

Yes, _should_. (e.g. to take advantage of hw accel)
But it isn't necessary, because it just calls LibGGI targets' stubs, or draw
on the framebuffer directly if available.

> Otherwise, I either have to go ahead and create separate LibGGI3D display
> targets (which gives LibGGI2D and LibGGI3D inconsistent structure) or

Some time later down the road both LibGGI2D and LibGGI3d would have some
targets, it just depends on whether you want to implement first (the targets
or the generic stubs).

> have to add LibGGI3D code to the LibGGI targets (which adds bloat
> unnecessarily).

No.

> The demos in lib/libggi/demos all seem to be 2D-oriented

Well, 2D as in ggiPutPixel(), ggiDrawLine() etc.  They don't actually call
LibGGI2d's functions.

> - do they belong in lib/libggi2d/demos?  Please help me understand this.

lib/libggi2d/demos/demo.c actually uses LibGGI2D.  Different from libggi
demos.

--
Steve Cheng

email: steve@ggi-project.org