  From: becka@rz.uni-duesseldorf.de
  To  : rehwald@uni-muenster.de
  Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 12:57:28 +0200 (MET DST)

Re: A bit confused...

Hi !

> So the very first step i did was buing a graphics card supporting OpenGL
> (actually i decided to get a Permedia2 based card as this seems to be the
> cheapest solution at the moment) and began installing GGI (after having
> installed the 3Dlabs X-server).
> The X-server is running fine (except it seems to be much slower than the =
> one driving my good old S3 868 card...) and reports the following chip:
> (--) GLINT: found GLINT Permedia 2v at card #11 func #0 with base 0xe1000000
> (--) GLINT: Framebuffer address at 0xe0800000
> (--) GLINT: videoram : 4096k
> (--) GLINT: Using builtin RAMDAC of Permedia 2 chip
> (--) GLINT: Fitted Memory type is : SGRAM

Oh - o.k. you have the new 2v type card, which is not yet correctly supported.
The kernel fbcon driver from which my pm2free driver is derived doesn't
handle it as well.

I'll probably have to download the X server source for it to see what is special about the PM2v.

> This agrees with what was written on the packing.  Fine.
> So now i began building the kgicon module from the degas tree.
> One question i could not answer configuring the driver was my cards
> clockchip.

It is integrated. I didn't bother separating the clock functionality
out yet. The settings for Permedia 2 are:

# .config file generated by drvconf
#
# monitor driver and class
MON_CLASS=generic
MON_TYPE=generic
# chipset driver
CHIP_CLASS=3dlabs
CHIP_TYPE=pm2free
# accel driver
ACCEL_CLASS=3dlabs
ACCEL_TYPE=pm2free
# clock chip driver
CLK_CLASS=fixed
CLK_TYPE=none
# ramdac driver
DAC_CLASS=3dlabs
DAC_TYPE=pm2free
# version

> So i decided to use the fixed:none clock chip.

That's right.

> Probably not a so good idea, as the module built loaded but then told me
> that there are no video modes available and hang the system.

Try inserting with ./insmod bla.o kgicon_bpp=8.

It shouldn't hang, though ...

> As checking my disks takes much time i do not really
> want to play around with all possible clock configurations.

Clock is right. It might be an issue about the 2v version.

> Well, the kernel did not detect any Permedia2. (So the kernel driver's detect
> function  differs from the one in the kgi module, as the latter did not
> complain about not finding an appropriate device?).
> Indeed the /proc/pci only finds
>      VGA compatible controller: 3Dlabs Unknown device (rev 1).
>       Vendor id=3d3d. Device id=9.

Could you send me the output of kgicon/util/sysinfo ?

I might not have been too specific with the probing mechanism, as it
never fails here :-).

> The [kgi-0.0.9] tree even does not seem to include any Permedia2 stuff. Why?

The driver is binary only and must be downloaded separately.

> Coming to the end can anybody comment on how to use a graphics chip's
> OpenGL features?

Sorry, I have no documentation on that part, as does the guy who wrote the
fbcon driver. Maybe SAteffen has ?

> I think the kernel level does not want to know anything about OGL. So
> should it be as follows: Some Mesa_4_Permedia2_on_kgicon, which is a
> libMesaGL that just passes the OGL commands via kgicon to the chip?

Basically yes. The Mesa library will call LibGGI which will via the
extension mechanism talk to kgicon and use the chip.

CU, Andy

--
Andreas Beck              |  Email :  <Andreas.Beck@ggi-project.org>