  From: Christoph Egger <Christoph_Egger@t-online.de>
  To  : Rodolphe Ortalo <Rodolphe.Ortalo@cert.fr>
  Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 15:35:37 +0200 (MEST)

Re: Tested KGI (kgi-0.9-990405.tar.gz)

On Wed, 7 Apr 1999, Rodolphe Ortalo wrote:

> Christoph Egger wrote:
> > I have downloaded your kgi-0.9-990405.tar.gz archive.
> >[...]
> > I am wondering why 2 keyboards are detected, but no mouse.
>
> That's a known problem. Steffen tried to detect keyboard and
> mouses automatically based on their IDs but it seems that the
> identification codes reported by these peripherals don't have
> any useful meaning. (My kerboard+mouse does not even report the
> same ID all the time so...)

O.K.

> You can try to change a few things in the source file 'kbd-i386.c'
> if you want to hack your kernel... (Do you ? :-)

hmm... I think I wait until Steffen has released a new version, which let
steffen's KGI compiles as a module. I hate it, when I must (re)compile the
kernel and restart the system every time to test minor changes.

> The next kgi release should solve this problem (I guess it will
> be a configuration option...) That's what Steffen said in his

Good. Will download and test it.

> > GPM doesn't start. When I try to start GPM I get the message:
> > /usr/bin/gpm: is your kernel compiled with CONFIG_SELECTION on?
>
> This is normal has you have no mouse (at least it is not [yet]
> available).

Oh! When it is included?

> > Oh, what's that... the monitor... what does happening... the text is grey,
> > and... now all is ok... i can't describe what currently happened! There
> > was happend anything about one second with the monitor!
>
> That's strange... What option did you enable concerning the 'Terminal
> Parser' (dumb basic parser, or xterm parser) ?
xterm parser and the KGI logo is disabled.

Oh, I have a Matrox Millenium II PCI 4MB WRAM and an EIZO F56 FlexScan
Monitor (17").

> While the last one (xterm) you should have some scrolling capability
> with LeftShift-PAGE{UP,DOWN}
Yes, that works. It works also when I switched between VT's and back.

Christoph Egger
E-Mail: Christoph_Egger@t-online.de