  From: Jim Kjellin <jim.kjellin@sciron.se>
  To  : 'ggi-develop@eskimo.com' <ggi-develop@eskimo.com>
  Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 15:05:42 +0200

RE: GGI/GII difficulties

	What happends if I ask for an inhumanly large visual? (I.e. larger
than
	the video-memory can cope with) Will it just say "sorry I couldn't
	create that visual for you" or will it emulate it somehow?

> > When I develop under console environment I have it set to 1600x1200x16
> and
> > when the program
> > calls ggiSetMode with a 640x480x16 mode the result is that the monitor
> > doesn't really like the
> > frequencies (go figure 200 Khz horizontal and 250Hz vertical :P), now is
> > there some way to get
> > the SetMode call to also change the frequencies used and not only the
> with
> > and height
> > (my guess is that frequency would be pixelclock).
> > This is all done with matroxfb btw.
>
> The stock kernel matroxfb ? Or a kgicon driver ?

	The matroxfb driver, AFAIK there is no kgicon driver for the G200
series
	(anyone, feel free to prove me wrong on this... please :P)

> The latter should calc appropriate frequencies automatically, given the
> monitor's limits.
>
> What happens on the "normal" fbcon driver on a mode-change BTW ?
> Does the driver select from a set of "uploaded" modes or what ?

	The matroxfb driver changes the geometry settings but leaves timings
	as they were before the mode-change, so the pixelclock is usually
	way to low when going from a hi-res mode to a low-res mode.

	--- Jim Kjellin