  From: becka@rz.uni-duesseldorf.de
  To  : mev0003@unt.edu
  Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 17:37:42 +0200 (MET DST)

Re: Documentation, and getting SVGALib to work...

> I always run squake, which is from the console.  It works fine in
> SVGALib in a vga console (I'll get a 3D card one of these days!).  I
> also run the XFree SVGA server.  Currently, I am booted into fbcon at
> 1024x768x16M, with X running.

Xfb or XGGI I suppose ? Or the standard X server ?

> An ldd of squake:
> root:reliant quake$ ldd squake
>        libm.so.5 => not found
>        libvga.so.1 => /usr/lib/libvga.so.1 (0x40005000)
>        libc.so.5 => not found
>        libggi.so.2 => /usr/local/lib/libggi.so.2 (0x4000e000)
>        libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x4001a000)
>        libgii.so.0 => /usr/local/lib/libgii.so.0 (0x400be000)
>        libgg.so.0 => /usr/local/lib/libgg.so.0 (0x400c4000)
>        /lib/ld-linux.so.1 => /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x2aaaa000)
>        libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x400c9000)

That is at least "problematic". You have a "crosslinked" setup with both
libcs and libms (libc5 and glibc) somehow linked in. This might cause
quite some trouble ...

> and my libvgas:
Look o.k.

> As far as I can tell, everything is set up right.  With the appropriate
> environment variables all set to '1', I get a scrambled screen.  It's
> like the frequencies are set wrong or something.  The program is
> running, though.  This is from the fbcon.

Does fbcon like the mode squake want to set at all ? Try with ./demo or
something from the LibGGI distribution.

> The only thing I'm not clear on in that file is the modes.  I don't
> have any in there, don't know if I'm  *supposed* to have everything in
> there, for modes, or what to put in there if I do.  But if libvga.conf
> doesn't affect using SVGALib thru libggi, I figure it's a moot point.

Yes. If you are not running via a true SVGAlib, except for the mouse
there is nothing that matters in the libvga.config.

modes are set up using fbset which has its own database. Don't remember the
name quite yet, but "man" will surely help ...

Try running squake on X first. Less chance to mess anything up.

BTW: Why do you want to run via the LibGGI wrapper in the first place, if
your SVGAlib runs fine ? Or is it that it doesn't run well anymore, once
you use fbcon ?

CU, Andy

--
Andreas Beck              |  Email :  <Andreas.Beck@ggi-project.org>