  From: Jeff Bachtel <sebastion@irelandmail.com>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 15:15:40 -0500

Re: nubee Q

On Wed, Apr 28, 1999 at 06:48:30PM +0200, becka@rz.uni-duesseldorf.de wrote:

> > According to the fbdev docs in the linux source dist, your devices
> > should look like:
> >
> > crw-r--r--   1 root     root      29,   0 Feb 11 22:35 /dev/fb0
>
> Hmm - I should read that up, but if -r does what I intuitively think it
> does, it is a security hole.

I would tend to think you are correct on that. Besides
linux/Documentation/framebuffer.txt (which has the mode numbers for each
fb), I don't remember where I got my mknod commands, but its very possible
indeed that they are supposed to be 600. I should amend my statement to
"According to the fbdev docs in the linux source dist, as I was able to
interpret them through usenet crawling"

> No. You can't make a library suid. That's a pity IMHO, as it would increase
> security a lot for some cases, but it is only possible on certain
> architectures easily, so ...

That is too bad, would seem like a very unixy feature (suid libs).

jeff