  From: Matthew Vanecek <mev0003@unt.edu>
  To  : Christoph_Egger@t-online.de
  Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 15:06:25 -0500 (CDT)

Re: Documentation, and getting SVGALib to work...

On  5 Apr, Christoph Egger spewed forth:
::
::
:: On Mon, 5 Apr 1999, Matthew Vanecek wrote:
::
:: > Hello, I have a couple of questions.
:: > I've got an SiS 6326 AGP/8M video card.
:: > I'm trying to get SVGALib (specifically, Quake ;) ), to work
:: > w/framebuffers, using the libggi as a wrapper.  The README said to set
:: > various environment variables, but I can't find a list of acceptable
:: > values for the environment variables.
:: >
:: > I've got libggi, libgii, and svgalib4ggi installed (latest versions).
:: > When I start Quake, the screen is all scrambled.
:: >
:: > Are there any limitations on the framebuffer screen resolution/depth
:: > when running svgalib programs wrapped with libggi? Also, besides the
:: > environment variables, is there any configuration that needs to be done
:: > (e.g., the .conf files, etc)?
::
:: Quake2 works fine for me. Did you try quake in any other
:: resolution than 320x200? Svgalib versions of Quake* doesn't support
:: linear addressing, which means that we have to emulate a banked mode
:: with 64k banks when resolution is higher than 320x200. And as the
:: lowest resolution in Quake II is 320x240...
::
:: To make this emulation work you should do what the README says:
::
::         Always set GSW_ASYNC (to anything but "mouse"), GSW_PAGEEMU,
::         GSW_MODEEMU and GSW_DB.
::         Setting GSW_BUT2KEY does not hurt even if your mouse has less than
::         four buttons.
::         GSW_WIDTH shold _NOT_ be used when GSW_PAGEEMU and GSW_MODEEMU is
:: set.
::
:: Unfortunatately the emulation means that the screen data has to be
:: copied one extra time, so you might notice a decrease in framerate
:: (compared to running directly on normal SVGAlib) when you run in more
:: than 320x200.
::
:: Christoph Egger
:: E-Mail: Christoph_Egger@t-online.de

Not too worried about the framerate right now.  However, I still don't
know what to set the environment variables to.  e.g. "export
GSW_ASYNC=<what?>".  It's not in the documents, all it says is to set
them. But to what?? Not 'mouse' is all I know right now.  Do we set
them to '1' or to 'keyboard'?  As I said in the second part of my
question, there isn't any documentation that I found which specifies
exactly what the acceptable values are for the environment variables.

--
Matthew Vanecek
Course of Study: http://www.unt.edu/bcis