  From: Charles Briscoe-Smith <cpbs@debian.org>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 12:53:24 +0100

Re: Tested beta 2 debian packages

In message <Pine.LNX.3.96.990421144619.597B-100000@tull.umassp.edu>,
"Brian S. Julin" writes:
>See if this works:
>
>insmod kgicon.o kgicon_bpp=13 kgicon_width=640 kgicon_height=400

Nope.  I get exactly the same as before.

>If none of that works (or better, before even trying that) check to make
>sure you have the renderers compiled or inserted into the kernel.

I tried with two different kernel configurations; with (IIRC) the same
results each time.  The first time, I had the vesa fb compiled in,
to get the renderers it pulls in:

  CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
  CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
  # CONFIG_MDA_CONSOLE is not set
  CONFIG_FB=y
  CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
  # CONFIG_FB_PM2 is not set
  CONFIG_FB_VESA=y
  CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
  # CONFIG_FB_MATROX is not set
  # CONFIG_FB_ATY is not set
  # CONFIG_FB_VIRTUAL is not set
  # CONFIG_FBCON_ADVANCED is not set
  CONFIG_FBCON_CFB8=y
  CONFIG_FBCON_CFB16=y
  CONFIG_FBCON_CFB24=y
  CONFIG_FBCON_CFB32=y
  # CONFIG_FBCON_FONTWIDTH8_ONLY is not set
  # CONFIG_FBCON_FONTS is not set
  CONFIG_FONT_8x8=y
  CONFIG_FONT_8x16=y

The second time, I compiled out all fb drivers, but compiled in all the
renderers (via CONFIG_FBCON_ADVANCED) that I could:

  #
  # Console drivers
  #
  CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
  CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
  # CONFIG_MDA_CONSOLE is not set
  CONFIG_FB=y
  CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
  # CONFIG_FB_PM2 is not set
  # CONFIG_FB_VESA is not set
  CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
  # CONFIG_FB_MATROX is not set
  # CONFIG_FB_ATY is not set
  # CONFIG_FB_VIRTUAL is not set
  CONFIG_FBCON_ADVANCED=y
  CONFIG_FBCON_MFB=y
  CONFIG_FBCON_CFB2=y
  CONFIG_FBCON_CFB4=y
  CONFIG_FBCON_CFB8=y
  CONFIG_FBCON_CFB16=y
  CONFIG_FBCON_CFB24=y
  CONFIG_FBCON_CFB32=y
  CONFIG_FBCON_AFB=y
  CONFIG_FBCON_ILBM=y
  # CONFIG_FBCON_IPLAN2P2 is not set
  # CONFIG_FBCON_IPLAN2P4 is not set
  # CONFIG_FBCON_IPLAN2P8 is not set
  CONFIG_FBCON_MAC=y
  CONFIG_FBCON_VGA=y
  # CONFIG_FBCON_FONTWIDTH8_ONLY is not set
  CONFIG_FBCON_FONTS=y
  CONFIG_FONT_8x8=y
  CONFIG_FONT_8x16=y
  CONFIG_FONT_SUN8x16=y
  CONFIG_FONT_SUN12x22=y
  CONFIG_FONT_6x11=y
  CONFIG_FONT_PEARL_8x8=y
  CONFIG_FONT_ACORN_8x8=y

In message <m10a2s7-000CEgC@hades.beck-sw.de>, Andreas Beck wrote:
>Try explicitly forcing kgicon_width=640,kgicon_height=480,kgicon_bpp=1
>or                     kgicon_width=320,kgicon_height=200,kgicon_bpp=8.
>
>The latter should work on anything remotely VGA compatible.

The former also didn't work; it gives exactly the same screwed-up screen
as the other methods.  The latter does work.  I get a 40x12 text screen,
and 320x200 graphics.  Now I just need to figure out how to get a decent
resolution -- this card and monitor can just about go up to 1600x1200...

Also, I need to work out how to compile KGI in such a way that the
bits can be bolted together appropriately at run-time for a random
users's graphics card.  I did read that this was one of KGI's goals,
but the READMEs don't say how to do it...  Can it easily be done yet,
or do I have to start hacking my own Makefiles for that?

Thanks,

--
Charles Briscoe-Smith
White pages entry, with PGP key: <URL:http://alethea.ukc.ac.uk/wp?95cpb4>;