  From: James Simmons <jsimmons@edgeglobal.com>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 12:31:13 -0400 (EDT)

Re: no display-fbcon device

On Fri, 23 Apr 1999, Armin Wegner wrote:

> I'm running debian 2.1 slink with kernel 2.2.5. Framebuffer support is
> compiled into my kernel. I've properly installed libggi beta2 the appropriate
> libgii and svga wrapper. But when I try to start ggiheretic on console
> it says that display-fbcon can't open the framebuffer device because it's
> missing. ggiheretic is suid und there are devices /dev/fb[0-8].
> What's wrong?

What video card do you have and what video driver did you compile
into the kernel?

> Must I install kgicon? That seems no possible for my video card. I've got
> a matrox mystique, but it's not a mga1064 or whatever is detected by
> make config. The number is higher. Nevertheless I've compiled it.
> But insmod kgicon.o stones my system after printing some version numbers
> for drivers followed by some rubbish characters. My matrox isn't support,
> is it?

>From last I heard yes the matrox mystique was supported. The default
kernel driver matroxfb also supports the mystique. the difference being
that kgicon supports a userland accleration.

James Simmons                             Seeing is deceiving.  It's
System Admin EdgeNet Inc                  eating that's believing.
Linux Kernel Developer                    -- James Thurber
jsimmons@edgeglobal.com
http://www.edgeglobal.com/~jsimmons