  From: Brian S. Julin <bri@tull.umassp.edu>
  Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 19:42:04 -0400 (EDT)

Re: ftp.ggi-project.org (fwd)

On Wed, 21 Apr 1999 becka@rz.uni-duesseldorf.de wrote:
> Does noone download them there ? I have forgotten to change the perms,
> but didn't get complaints for that time ... :-).

Most Debian users will want to get them from their debian sites
using apt or dselect, so I wouldn't say having the debian packages there
is all that useful since Charles is a registered developer and uploads
them.  Debian's Imcoming directory is publicly accessible too.  Perhaps
the best thing would be just to have a README.debian that gives URLs
to a Debian mirror and a Debian Incoming mirror, plus any help about
what to install and any configuration notes.

As for the general issue of why Debian users might not be checking them
out -- I haven't looked to see if the stock Debian 2.2.5 kernel-image
package has vesafb support; and it's a potato (unstable) package still IIRC.
Fbcon/kgicon-enabled kernel-image and kernel-modules packages would help
that.  Is XGGI packaged?  That and a few apps a little meatier than what's
in libggi-samples might help.  Gspec looks promising on that front.

Debian's an excellent distro, unfortunately that makes the users a
little spoiled;  They are more likely to play with something if they
can get it running in under 20 minutes.  Things will improve a lot when
potato gets frozen -- Charles got in under the wire for slink with the
first BETA.  If the packages are all in good shape when potato
freezes (mmmmmm.  frozen french fries...)  we'll have a surge in
Debian GGI users.

--
Brian