  From: Marcus Sundberg <mackan@stacken.kth.se>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 19:24:40 +0000

Re: Tested beta 2 debian packages

Brian S. Julin wrote:

> I upgraded a system with the older libggi Debian packages to
> the latest versions from ftp.debian.org.
>
> Straight LibGGI programs worked fine -- I tested slimy and
> compiled and tested ifs and both worked on fbdev (vesafb) and
> on X targets just fine.  LibGGI complained about a missing
> linvtsw helper, but maybe I just missed a "suggested" package
> and don't have that library.

Unless you explicitly overrided any dependencies the debian
packages are broken. The linvtsw helper should be a _required_
package if the fbdev or glide targets are installed.

> Other stuff probably bugs in the BETA, not the Debian packages:
>
> The aa target seems to just scroll stuff... yes I had debugging
> off.  Maybe it's the vesafb console size that's making it choke.

IIRC I had trouble with aa on the console too. X worked though.
Someone who knows about aalib should have a look at that.

> The fbdev target seems to think it's KGI, makes a grab
> for genkgi.so, fails that and works anyway.  This is
> kernel 2.1.132 vesafb, so maybe that's just fooling kgicon
> somehow into thinking there's a kgicon driver loaded,
> which there isn't.

This is normal. In case of an unaccelerated fbcon device fbdev will
always probe for kgicon acceleration.

> Weird, but I guess to be expected,
> that stderr gets printed to fbdev consoles while the
> graphics are running.  Console paints a cursor during
> graphics.

This is because linvtsw is missing.

To package maintainers: PLEASE don't try to split packages unless
you know what you are doing.

        Marcus Sundberg        | http://www.stacken.kth.se/~mackan/
       Stockholm, Sweden       |   E-Mail: mackan@stacken.kth.se