  From: Andrew Apted <ajapted@netspace.net.au>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 11:02:59 +1000

Re: Stange modes

David T. Leimbach writes:

>  I have a problem with KGI.  When I fbset -g 640 480 640 480 4
>  I should get a 16 color mode right?
>  Instead I get a very strange mode in which I cannot see anything I type but
>  colors in horizontal lines that look like overlapped giant fonts.  I believe
>  the mode I requested to be a standard VGA mode.  (I will have to look) And I am
>  quite sure my card supports is as mode 12h.  Any Ideas?  Or do I have to start
>  writing a Trident driver now.  :)

KGICON doesn't support the non-linear VGA modes -- it uses FBCON for
console rendering and FBCON has no internal API for bank switching (and
there's no userspace->kernel API for bankswitching either).

There's no real solution I'm afraid, except waiting for the "real" KGI
to be fully functional again (which does support banked modes).

Cheers,
                                               \  /
  Andrew Apted   <ajapted@netspace.net.au>      \/