  From: Nathan Strong <gblues@jps.net>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 00:39:07 -0700 (PDT)

Re: New ggi program released (and network programming question)

On Sat, 17 Apr 1999, Evan Martin wrote:

> - Establish a TCP connection and a UDP "connection" (in quotes
> because UDP is really connectionless, but you know what I mean).
> Send all important messages over the TCP connection, with
> unimportant ones going over UDP.  Problems: I don't know how
> long a TCP connection will stay open (I'm see "connection reset
> by peer" rather often on irc).  Double the number of sockets.

"Connection reset by peer" is when the IRC server closes the socket for
whatever reason (usually because of an error reading data from the network
connection). Basically, TCP/IP connections stay open until you close them.
(Keep in mind that Winsock will close all active connections when you get
disconnected, linux however does *not*).

But, IMO, this is the best solution.

Nathan
gblues@jps.net