  From: becka@rz.uni-duesseldorf.de
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 14:58:10 +0200 (MEST)

Re: kgicon troubles - mode switching (and more)

Hi !

> Done.  ggi-warp works now kinda--not full screen, it's on the left half
> of the screen scrunched like it's running at 640x200 and only using half
> the screen...  WEIRD.  It ran fine before I added my monitor setting,
> should I add the VGA timings to the monitor file and see what that does?

Oh - wait ... Are you using the VGA driver ? This one has the bug to
falsely acknowledge and set 640xsomething[P8/8], which is actually
impossible and results in programming 320x???#640x???[P8/8], which is
obviously wrong.

> However, startx -- -modes 800x600[C16/16] does not.  It runs without
> them, the color palette is screwed naturally in 640x480.  Attached is a
> GGI_DEBUG=255 version of the startx command.

??? That can't be the VGA driver, then ... ? You know C16/16 means 16 bit
colors i.e. 65536 colors, 5red 6green 5blue ?

> Since I have only one head on this system, can I just use the lack of
> /proc/fb or something?

You could cat it and look if there is anything in there ...

> I'd rather have a qiv type thing really, I like the way it works better
> than zgv and it's more reliable.  Problem:  gdk-imlib.

Hmm - do you know ggv ? It should be up on our ftp.
I use it as graphics agent for mc together with peggy.
Works very nicely. I always hated to start X just to have a quick
look at some graphic.

CU, ANdy

--
= Andreas Beck                    |  Email :  <andreas.beck@ggi-project.org> =