  From: Aaron Van Couwenberghe <vanco@sonic.net>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 22:20:14 -0700

Re: Compiling Mesa 3.0 for ggi

On Wed, Apr 14, 1999 at 04:00:54PM -0700, Jon M. Taylor wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Apr 1999, Marcus Sundberg wrote:
>
> > Paul Fredrickson wrote:
> > >
> > > I've finally got ggi working in a usable configuration and am now looking at
> > > Mesa.  Mesa has a driver for rendering on GGI, but it doesn't compile.
> > > There is a note describing a file which is supposed to update the driver for
> > > the latest version of GGI, but it appears to be empty.  I guess this broke
> > > because the GGI API has changed (did the ggi_visual struct used to have a
> > > "fb" framebuffer member? or a ggiGetInfo() function?  I can't find either.)
> >
> > Looks like the GGI Mesa driver is really ancient. Wasn't someone working
> > on updating this?
>
> 	Yes.  Me.  I have gotten commit privileges to the Mesa CVS tree and
> will be doing quite a bit of repair work soon.

Remember, I hacked GGIMesa into a working state (thanks to help from
andreas) for Debian packages. Uwe Maurer's latest patch works (I sent it to
him, a mod of his own) but I messed it up (missing a subdir) and have to
re-submit it.
	If you really want Mesa working on GGI b2 get the source archives
from your local debian mirror. package name is mesag3+ggi.

But, it's very low quality. It acts entirely weird in 24bpp mode, and in all
others some number of artifacts occur. On top of that, the displaylibs are
*very* old (still written for ggi 1.0) and as such messes with internal GGI
state in ways that it shouldn't.

I'm just glad someone competent (Jon :) is taking it over. I really have
very little experience writing lowlevel display APIs.

--
..Aaron Van Couwenberghe... ..vanco@sonic.net.. ..aaronv@debian.org....
	Berlin:			http://www.berlin-consortium.org

"...Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing..."
	-- Ralph Waldo Emerson