  From: Thomas Tanner <tanner@gmx.de>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 22:28:44 +0200

libtool (was: libggi2d)

Marcus Sundberg wrote:
> > PS: Please upgrade to the latest CVS libtool.
> >     The libtool used in GGI has some serious bugs.
> Exactly what are those bugs?

 There were thousands of bugs (remember, the code was
 _very_ experimental). For example, your Solaris fix
 was only a quick hack - the whole eval code was broken
 which means that many other things wouldn't work.
 Now it's not only stable, but also more portable, smaller
 and faster. For more changes see ChangeLog...

> The libtool which comes with LibGGI works on at least Linux, Solaris,
> OpenBSD, FreeBSD and Digital Unix - which can't be said about the
> normal libtool (need_version=no is not defined for osf.

 Please report such problems! ;(
 I'll set need_version=no for OSF.

> The libtool
> I used as a base had more problems, I haven't checked if they are
> eliminated in the current version.)

 Your changes were minimal: you've set the default of need_version/lib_prefix
 to no and deplibs_check_method to pass_all. However, they were intentionally
 set to unknown so that people with untested platforms would send us the correct
 values.

> In any case I will regularly sync our libtool with the libtool
> CVS, but I won't do it too often as testing it on all platforms I
> have access to takes some time.

 AFAICT we have access to 20 different platforms on which we test libtool
 regularily. Unfortunately Digital Unix is missing.

--
email: tanner@(gmx.de|ggi-project.org|gnu.org|mucl.de)