  From: Marcus Sundberg <mackan@stacken.kth.se>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 19:49:31 +0000

Re: Multithreaded Event Queue Followup

Jim Kjellin wrote:
>         Hmm.. if you consider non-unix platforms (win32 being one) then
> using
>         select isn't such a good idea either (there are computers without
> tcp/ip
>         and in the win-world select is implemented in those libraries
>         only, AFAIK anyway...
>         Use semaphores perhaps?

Well, using select() isn't the solution to this problem, using
select is what causes it. We use select() because we wait on file
descriptors, and the problem is that we need to interrupt the select
call when an event gets queued from another thread.

If we are on a platform where input devices normally aren't
associated with file descriptors we don't have this problem (but
possibly the problem of interrupting some other blocking function).

        Marcus Sundberg        | http://www.stacken.kth.se/~mackan/
       Stockholm, Sweden       |   E-Mail: mackan@stacken.kth.se