  From: Christoph Egger <Christoph_Egger@t-online.de>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 14:42:11 +0200 (MEST)

Re: KGI and fbdev

On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, Leimy wrote:

> Ok I upgraded to 2.2.5 for my linux kernel.  I have no framebuffer device
> listed in my /dev/ directory.  Can someone point me to information for
> creating this device file.  I would like to get started with KGI as i am
> going to try to make a driver for my Trident based chipset card.
>

> Dave

Type make menuconfig under the directory /usr/src/linux.

Then go to the menupoint "Character devices  --->".

Enable "Virtual Terminal" support unless you would not test steffen's new
kgi-0.9 system.
Enable also "Support for console on virtual terminal (NEW)" after you have
actived "Virtual Terminal".

Then go to the menupoint "Console drivers  --->".

Enable
"Support for frame buffer devices (EXPERIMENTAL) (NEW)",
"VESA VGA graphics console (NEW)",
"Advanced low level driver options (NEW)",
"Monochrome support (NEW)",
"2 bpp packed pixels support (NEW)",
"4 bpp packed pixels support (NEW)",
"8 bpp packed pixels support",
"16 bpp packed pixels support",
"24 bpp packed pixels support",
"32 bpp packed pixels support"

And finally enable anything what you mean you can't life without it! :-)

Compile the kernel and good luck!

Christoph Egger
E-Mail: Christoph_Egger@t-online.de