  From: Steffen Seeger <s.seeger@physik.tu-chemnitz.de>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 08:48:43 +0200 (MEST)

Re: A bit confused...

> Hi !
>
> > So the very first step i did was buing a graphics card supporting OpenGL
> > (actually i decided to get a Permedia2 based card as this seems to be the
> > cheapest solution at the moment) and began installing GGI (after having
> > installed the 3Dlabs X-server).
> > The X-server is running fine (except it seems to be much slower than the =
> > one driving my good old S3 868 card...) and reports the following chip:
> > (--) GLINT: found GLINT Permedia 2v at card #11 func #0 with base 0xe1000000
> > (--) GLINT: Framebuffer address at 0xe0800000
> > (--) GLINT: videoram : 4096k
> > (--) GLINT: Using builtin RAMDAC of Permedia 2 chip
> > (--) GLINT: Fitted Memory type is : SGRAM
>
> Oh - o.k. you have the new 2v type card, which is not yet correctly supported.
> The kernel fbcon driver from which my pm2free driver is derived doesn't
> handle it as well.
>
> I'll probably have to download the X server source for it to see
> what is special about the PM2v.

I will get in contact with 3Dlabs about an update for the manuals.

> > This agrees with what was written on the packing.  Fine.
> > So now i began building the kgicon module from the degas tree.
> > One question i could not answer configuring the driver was my cards
> > clockchip.
>
> It is integrated. I didn't bother separating the clock functionality
> out yet. The settings for Permedia 2 are:
>
> # .config file generated by drvconf
> #
> # monitor driver and class
> MON_CLASS=generic
> MON_TYPE=generic
> # chipset driver
> CHIP_CLASS=3dlabs
> CHIP_TYPE=pm2free
> # accel driver
> ACCEL_CLASS=3dlabs
> ACCEL_TYPE=pm2free
> # clock chip driver
> CLK_CLASS=fixed
> CLK_TYPE=none
> # ramdac driver
> DAC_CLASS=3dlabs
> DAC_TYPE=pm2free
> # version

> > Coming to the end can anybody comment on how to use a graphics chip's
> > OpenGL features?
>
> Sorry, I have no documentation on that part, as does the guy who wrote the
> fbcon driver. Maybe SAteffen has ?

There is a pre-alpha (last time I checked) OpenGL driver for the Permedia2
from Suse. However, it is only suited for fullscreen rendering yet.

I am working on an updated Permedia family driver for the new KGI,
that supports direct rendering like handling of the Permedia2.

			Steffen

----------------- e-mail: seeger@physik.tu-chemnitz.de -----------------