  From: Brian Julin <bri@forcade.calyx.net>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 22:32:04 -0400 (EDT)

Re: UDI proposed specs released for review

On Thu, 8 Apr 1999, Joseph Carter wrote:
> I don't think we should allow proprietary unices to shape Linux into
> another proprietary unix.  If they succeed they may not win, but we are
> sure likely to lose.

Linux needs something like the UDI.  Device driver programming under
it sucks, binary drivers or no binary drivers.  I'll reserve my
opinions as to whether the UDI is the right way to go until I'm done
reading it, but so far it looks like the UDI people have done us all
a favor by making a very detailed, solid standard.  The only thing
that could spoil it is if they try to make the API a purchasable
item.  If they open the API and the community is free to implement
it and the standard is readily available, then I have no problems
with it and would like to see Linux use it.  I hadn't heard of
it before now so I don't know what the plans are for the UDI's
release terms.

Personally I'll never run a driver I don't have source code for,
but that's not what the UDI is all about.

P.S. A lot of the UDI looks very similar to what had to be done
for the KGI OS interface, it would be eerie if not for the fact that
it's only logical for them to share a lot of traits.

--
P.C.M.C.I.A. stands for "Plastic Connectors May Crack If Adjusted"
                                                             -- me