  From: Evan Martin <txs@concentric.net>
  To  : misleb@onshore.com
  Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 18:23:58 -0700

Re: Riva 128 (Diamond Viper V330 AGP)

Matt Isleb wrote:

> I read a message in the archives from February concerning a problem
> with the nVidia driver. The author of the post seemed to have fixed
> it himself, but I continue to have the problem.
I'd suggest reading my other post.
It's archived at
http://www.progressive-comp.com/Lists/?l=linux-ggi&m=92065886020474&w=2
It explains rivas, con2fbmap, and everything else. :)
Hm, at the bottom I thought of making a page about it.
Maybe I should really do that.

> The problem is that when I insert kgicon i get a vertical line on
> the left side of each character cell. The lines are 2 or 3 pixels wide.
> The module claims to have loaded fine.. and i can use fbset to change
> resolutions, but the lines are always there. I can't read much.
>
> The original reporter said the specifying kgicon_width=640 and
> kgicon_height=400 did the trick. But I am having no such luck. I have tried
> many combinations of resolution and bpp and none work. Most have this problem,
> and some are even worse.
Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't.

> Some other things i tried... I turned on vesafb support (kernel 2.2.5) and booted
> in 640x480x8 mode. The kgicon module loads... and the screen looks great, BUT
> /dev/fb0, /dev/fb1, /dev/fb2 are all useing the vesafb driver. I can't perform
> an fbset on them or run kgicon programs on them. I get "FBIOPUT_VSCREENINFO:
> Invalid arguement", vesafb complains that I can't change resolutions, then the
> program dies. kgicon.o says it is fb1 and there is a
> "1 KGI" entry in /proc/fb. But none of the devices seem to be accessing kgicon.
> What major/minor does kgicon use when something like vesafb is active?
>
> BTW, can someone explain what con2fbmap does? I did run con2fbmap 0 1.
>
> Also, I am using libggi2 from debian. I am getting kgicon from the devel
> snapshot. Should I bother compiling libggi and libgii from the devel snapshot
> or should version2 beta 2 be sufficient?
Definately use a snapshot.
Before you install the snapshot, be sure to remove all of debian's
libggi-related packages.

Evan Martin
txs@concentric.net